Friday, May 10, 2013

Traveling (Part 2) and Extra

So I am now sitting in a hotel room.  It is 7 feet by 14 feet Kristin and I have guess-timated.  And it is soooooooo hot.  It feels similar to sitting in a bathroom while a hot shower is going and the fan is not on.  Honestly I did not know I could sweat while I am sitting and hardly moving, but I can.

The bus ride yesterday went well, it was about 9 hours long but I slept for about three so it was not too bad.  We watched some movies and watch Thai music videos for the most part.  When we finally got to the bus station, we were starving.  We got off the bus expecting to see the familiar face of Spencer (our facilitator) but alas he was no where to be seen.  I had his phone number he had given to me over email.  I had called him so much through pay-phones and this random ladies cellphone that I had it memorized and I was pretty good at it now. 09220227230.  We called him on a pay-phone and he said he was just a few minutes away.  He did showed up a few minutes later and honestly it was so good to see him.  I missed him and it was weird going for three days not seeing anyone I knew besides Chloe and Kristin.  Anyways, he picked us up and we went to get dinner.  The dinner was very Thai, I got fried rice with chicken.  (Mom - There was kale in it, I thought that you would find that funny, it was pretty good actually.)  After dinner we went to this really nice grocery store.  If it wasn't for the fact that everything was in Thai, I would have thought that I was back in America.  We got shampoo and conditioner and then went back to Spencer's apartment to shower.

Showering in Thailand is terrible.  You are hot to start out with but when you turn on the water there is no temperature - what comes out is what comes out, which is warm.  Once you are finished showering, putting your clothes on is like a whole other story.  No matter how much you try to get dry with your towel it is not going to happen. So when you put your clothes on they just stick to you.  It is terrible but I am sure that I will get used to it.

After we finished our shower Spencer took us to our hotel.  We slept, we woke up at around 6.  Had breakfast downstairs at the owners restaurant.  Fairly good by the way.  During breakfast we had a great conversation with another intern.  His name is Jake.  We also learned how to say all the Thai numbers.  We are still practicing.  One lady asked me how much I wanted at lunch, 5 Baht or 10 Baht, and I told her Ho.  I was supposed to say Ha.  She laughed but I guess she understood.

So we are just hanging around for the next few days...  I am excited to get up to the orphanage on Sunday.  It was will fun!

This was just as we were getting on the airplane in Salt Lake City.

No comments:

Post a Comment