Friday, May 10, 2013

Les the Wild One


Kristin, Cody and I are homeless at the present moment.  Cody is waiting for his host family to be ready for him and Kristin and I are just chilling waiting to go up to the orphanage on Sunday.  Anyways today is Saturday and we explored the city a little this morning and then ended up coming back to the place we are staying, which is Ginny’s.  I cannot get over how hot it is here.  I mean they told me it would be but seriously it is terrible.  Probably does not help that our place does not have a/c.

Once we got to Ginny’s we got a little something cold to eat.  (Yes the hotel (aka. Guest house) is also a restaurant too.)  There was a man at the table next to us.  He was the same man we had seen yesterday when we had breakfast.  He was probably 60 years old, had on these yellow glasses and had smoked probably 3 cigarettes while we had been sitting there.  He had quiet a lot of hair for his age but I could be totally wrong about his age too.  The funny thing was he reminded me a lot of my grandpa Bryce.  He looked like him, kinda shorter with a little belly.  He talked a lot and had these really crazy story, ideas, and beliefs. His name was Les.
 
Everything about him was bizarre.  He had been living in Chiang Mai for about 9 months just chilling.  Before that he taught English in South Korea and China.  He was a divorcee with 3 kids that he raised when his wife went AWOL.  The first thing that he told us was that we have to decide what kind of people we want to be with.  He told us that the people he wants to hang out with have to know how to laugh, be somewhat smart, must speak English and must like him for him.  We then talked about all sorts of things like Thai court system, Thai culture, cool places to go, his family, and things about his life.  He was a joker that we caught on to quickly.  He could really make us laugh.  He was also one of those people that make you feel really confortable, so towards the end I was messing with him, which made us laugh even more.  It was awesome.

The whole idea of it was what I loved: the fact that we were sitting in some little restaurant in the middle of Thailand with some man that we had never met before, laughing about who knows what.     

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your experiences. You're awesome G and I miss you lots.You're such an amazing example of toughness and strength to me!
    I'll keep you in my prayers and I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.
    Jaylee

    ReplyDelete