Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sukhothai

Last week, for some odd reason, was really hard.  I think I was a little homesick and just a little tired but this weekend turned things all around.  I feeling good now.

So Kristin and I taught our 5 classes at the Thai school, which is really tiring and long.  We are at the school for 8 hours teaching people about a language they don't know in that language they don't know. Lets just say the language gap is huge there.  But we made it through with only pulling a little bit of hair out.  We then set off for Chiang Mai.  The 2 hour truck ride was long but I to listened to my iPod most of the way and I just got some new songs so it was good.  Counting Stars and Feel Again by OneRepublic are good songs that get your blood pumping again. (Tessa and Olivia - Though listening to it is so fun, it does make me a little sad because I miss singing these song with you in my car. Good times.)

So once we got into the city we met Spencer and Cody for dinner and then went to this new mall opening.  It was literally packed with so many asians but it was so nice.  That is one thing that I find very odd here in Thailand.  The streets of the city are littered with trash of all kinds but their malls are just as good if not better than American malls.  So clean and nice and almost out of place here in Thailand.  We walked around the mall for about 2 hours and then we went to see a movie.  Our movie ticket was 170 Bhat which is about 5 bucks and popcorn was 2 dollars but Thai popcorn is disgusting and I would not recommend getting any.  I miss American popcorn.  Anyways, after the movie we realized something, it was late.  It was pasted midnight and we were kind of far from the inner city which was where our hotel was and there were no red trucks anywhere on the main highway.  So we just started walking on the side of the highway.  We walked for about 20 minutes when Cody flagged a random truck down.  This old Thai guy was driving and said he was heading toward the city, so we jumped in the back of the bed and rode in.  It wasn't scary at all because we had Spencer and Cody but if Kristin and I had been alone we would have never been able to do that.  But it was really cool.  There I am sitting in the back of this truck with the cool wind whipping my hair driving through Thailand.  It was another one of those moments.

The next morning at 4:30 we set out for Sukhothai, which is this really old city full of temples, statues and ruins.  It was great because we rode around on bikes taking pictures of everything, being the epitome of a tourist.  But I wouldn't have had it any other way.







1 comment:

  1. Awww I miss listening to those songs in your car!! Will always remember that. And in a year and a half, we'll do it again (: Love you, love the post, love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete